Friday, August 15, 2014

Five for Friday- Beach Style



Five for Friday is a weekly teacher linky party where you post five random things from today or this past week and on your blog. Then, you come back and link your blog post up at the bottom of this post in the linky tool.Grab the button above and link back to this post on your blog.
 I'm linky up Five For Friday- Beach Style! My husband and I have been on vacation for the past week in Emerald Isle, NC. It has honestly been so good because I am now so ready to start the school year! I'm all shades of motivated to get things done for the classroom!
 
While we were down here, we got to visit with my cousin and her two precious kiddos! Tanner is 3 and Tatum is 3 weeks old! They are the closest family I have geographically, and I love every minute I get to spend with them!
After we spent some time with them, we just had to go to Chuy's for dinner! Chuy's is by far our favorite upscale Mexican restaurant! The creamy jalepeno dip is to die for! I try and recreate it at home but it is never as good as the real thing! Here is my husband and I at Chuy's! Seriously good. Taco Salad for me and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom for the man!
Is it bad that we have discussed going again on our way home?  
 
Last year, I had planned on starting interactive journals but I just never fully committed to them so it sort of went straight down the drain. This year is the year! I bought these spiral notebooks 2 years ago when I was a long term sub. I got them long after school had started so I think I ended up getting them for like 20 cents or something ridiculous! I bought 20 thinking that would be plenty because who really has a class with more than 20 kids?! Answer: Me. (mostlikely) So this year, I found some of the same style at Walmart and bought a few extras just in case.
 
 
I wrapped the wire spirals with duck tape and then also used duck tape to add a Ziploc bag in the back of the notebook for any pieces that my kinders didn't finish. I got the idea to use duck tape from Kristen's Kindergarten and her science notebooks (here). I got inspired from another blogger about using Ziploc bags but cannot remember who! I tried searching and searching and just couldn't find it! If it was you, let me know! I would love to give you credit.
 
I have bought several products for interactive journals in the past so I plan to put them to good use this year!  Can't wait to get started!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Interactive-Alphabet-Notebook-Letters-A-Z-1289493

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Interactive-Reading-Journal-Notebook-for-K-2-Common-Core-Aligned-858335
 
 My creative juices have been flowing this week and I have been busy making one thing right after another. I made little gift tags for parent gifts for Meet the Teacher. I used Krista Wallden's precious monkey from her zoo clip art! I am going to get some ribbon and attach these to bananas! So easy and simple!

One thing that is tried and true that works like a charm in my classroom is line up numbers. Essentially they are just numbers that I tape down to my floor for students to put their toes on while we are lining up. It's a life saver because as soon as I say "check your toes" I immediately have a perfectly straight line. My husband helped my cut these out last night and it might just be my opinion but man, he's even more handsome when he cuts out some of my teachers stuff! :)
A good book at the beach is a must and this trip I started reading  I am not but I know I AM. It is by Louie Giglio. Louie is the pastor of Passion City Church and the leader of Passion Conferences. I have been blessed to be a part of Passion City Church when I lived in Atlanta and attended Passion Conference in 2012.
 
Here is one of my favorite excerpts from the book, "Just because you are small, never confuse that with being insignificant to God. Coming face to face with your humble estate does not nullify the love the drove the Son to give His all for you. You are little. But you are intensely loved. You are not, but I AM thinks enough of you to organize a visit that divided history and forever defines your worth."
So good. So true.
 There is a little town about 45 minutes away from Emerald Isle called Beaufort, NC. It is such a neat town right on the water with tons of Southern and historic charm. Ben and I have gone there once before and we knew we had to go there again this year! One of the neatest things about Beaufort is that across the water there is a little island called Shackleford Banks that has wild horses roaming around it! We saw a few while we were there and they were just so cool!
 I would be just fine to live in a Southern home like this one! Love!
 
Happy Weekend Everyone! Last weekend of the summer for me! 



6 comments:

  1. Your blog is so cute! And I love the plastic baggy for interactive notebook pieces idea! GENIUS! When do ya'll go back to school? HA! I am not Southern but had to throw a ya'll in there because I find myself wanting to use it all the time. Take care!

    The Sassy Sub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! I am a little biased but I love it too! Teachers go back this Wednesday and kids come back the 25th! So soon! I'm trying to soak up every last bit of summer I can! Hope you are as well!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a fun summer! I hope to live in the south... someday ;) That house is beautiful!

    Allie
    http://thepositiveteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in the South is definitely my favorite! I can't imagine life anywhere else! Thanks for stopping by Allie!

      Delete
  3. Your blog is so cute! I love Mexican food, too. I can completely relate to wanting to go back for more right away! Have a great school year! :)
    - Kelly :)
    Mrs. Campbell's Kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! We did actually go back to Chuy's on our way home! Ha! We're obsessed! Thank you! Hope you have a great one too!

      Delete